Original film title in Malay: Kechewa
Literal English translation of film title: Disappointment
Directed by S. Ramanathan
Written by S. Ramanathan (story)
Starring: Mariam, Yusof Latiff, Saadiah, S. Kadarisman
Produced by Malay Film Productions (Shaw Bros.)
Queen Elizabeth Walk (Esplanade Park)
Runme Shaw’s villa (34, Queen Astrid Park)
SALBIAH, AN INFLUENTIAL SINGER AT A BAR, recounts the tragic story of her childhood caretaker turned foster mother Kesuma – how she came to live with her family (at the expansive villa at 34 Queen Astrid Park) and was disliked by Salbiah’s mother, the tyrannical matron of the house. Disgusted by the immoral ways of his wife, Salbiah’s father eventually falls for the kind-hearted Kesuma, but their fateful relationship is fraught with difficulties and ends in tragedy.
Multiple places in Singapore were featured in the film. Besides Runme Shaw’s villa, there was Queen Elizabeth Walk (where Kesuma brings her charge for an outing), the MacRitchie Reservoir (where the couple sings a tune before tragedy strikes) and the Punggol Beach (where the climactic punch-up between the protagonist and his nemeses occurs).
1. The Esplanade. Singapore Infopedia. National Library Board, 2004.
2. Cenotaph. Singapore Infopedia. National Library Board, 2004.
3. MacRitchie Reservoir. Singapore Infopedia. National Library Board, 2004.
Digital Map Source:
1. Great Britain. Royal Air Force, Singapore photomap, National Library of Australia, MAP G8041.A4 s6 1950. [http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-vn502375]
2. Great Britain. Ordnance Survey, Singapore Island, National Library of Australia, MAP G8040 1941. [http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-vn1900708]
© 1954 Malay Film Productions
© 2003 Music Valley
© 2014 Toh Hun Ping